We all hear it from time to time as we go through our day or when we walk in the door in the evening. I’m bored… Slightly amused and clearly annoyed when I hear it, I always wonder what someone who tells me this expects me to do. Should I do a song & dance? Take them to a movie? Perhaps suggest a handicraft for them to engage in?
When in doubt, do some research, right? A recent study by Canadian researchers determined that you become bored when:
- you have difficulty paying attention to the internal information, such as thoughts or feelings, or outside stimuli required to take part in satisfying activity;
- you are aware that you’re having difficulty paying attention; and
- you blame the environment for your sorry state (“This task is boring”; “There is nothing to do”).
Well, that all sort of makes sense. The first two state we have trouble paying attention to ourselves and those people or those activities around us. Yep, I get that. Then, the third one says we blame the environment for our boredom. Clearly, we can’t blame ourselves.
If we are unable to get a cup of coffee or shake ourselves by the shoulders to start paying attention somehow and we are blaming our current activity or situation (environment), then we should change our environment. What’s going on that will hold our attention that is accessible enough to not be impossible to participate in or be a spectator of?
Well, it’s a good time to be bored because there are lots of things going on or coming up soon that are sure to hold your attention in our area. Try these on for size:
- Wetzel’s Weekend just ended. If you weren’t able to make it out there and cannot be riveted by the memories of it, look someone up who went. Offer to buy them a cup of coffee and maybe they’ll regale you with stories and pictures to entertain and amaze. Trust me, it is anything but boring.
- The 2014 Summer Music Series in Fountain Park continues with The Van Wert Area Concert Band Friday night, 8/15 at 7:00PM. Sponsored by The Van Wert County Foundation it is a great time for everyone and it’s never been described as boring.
- Start training now for the upcoming 5K Race sponsored by StateWide Ford and the YMCA. It is held in conjunction with The Rotary/Van Wert County Hospital/Red Cross Health Aware Fair. If you find that boring maybe you should check in at the Health Aware Fair and be sure you have a pulse.
- The Van Wert Rib Fest is Friday and Saturday, August 8-9. Great food, a Wiffleball Tournament, pig races (what!?!?), a Corn Hole Tournament, and more all at the Fairgrounds. The “B” word has never crossed the lips of anyone who ever attended the Rib Fest and this is the 8th Annual.
- Speaking of the Fairgrounds, the Van Wert County Fair is just around the corner. Labor Day Weekend comes early this year and it marks fair week on the calendar, so the very least boring event of the year starts August 26. Concerts, harness and horse racing, fair-food, the midway, Junior Fair, truck and tractor pulls, demolition derby, the commercial building, and oh-so-much more.
Oh, and don’t forget the 127 Garage Sale going on right now. These are just the activities that come to mind. There are plenty more that are more specialized or not as well advertised. Plenty of ways to change your environment. Don’t let anyone tell you nothing goes on in this town.
Summer is fast coming to a close. If you are bored, pay attention and do something about it! Don’t let all that Canadian research go to waste. And if this list is not enough for you, well, then maybe it is time to take a look in the mirror. Yep, maybe you’re just boring.
Call 800.262.3866, and speak to our friendly staff today! Learn about our latest Ford Specials, set up an informative test drive, get details on any vehicle, request a brochure, schedule a service appointment, discuss your trade-in or even talk financing on your next car. We are here to help you.
Still deciding on which vehicle you’d like to be driving? Searching for OEM factory rebates? Are you comparing lease programs or internet specials? Maybe you simply want our best price on a new or used car? For all of this and more, look no further than StateWide Ford. Our team is made up of professional associates that offer you a no-pressure environment and operate with the quality you’d expect. We look forward to helping you with your next new or used car purchase.
Click Here for Dealership Hours and Directions.